Fantasy Farming: Orange Season is a farm life game. Inspired by the old Harvest Moon, Rune Factory and Animal Crossing series, the game aims to bring back that same kind of experience.
Focusing on building an easy gameplay, with a lot of exploration and character development, the project is now two years old. What started as a simple windows only RPG Maker game back in 2014, grew up to a much bigger project than I had first imagined.
Some information about the game:
- High focus on exploration, with over a hundred hand crafted areas (mountains, forests, caves, lakes, deserts and much more).
- Three different towns, with different themes and dozens of characters each.
- Several festivals inspired by real life festivities from around the world.
- More than 30 different types of animals.
- Many different types of farm produce.
- Marriage system with over 10 marriage candidates.
- Rival Marriage system, without predefined couples.
- Farm customization (you can move your buildings around and place patterns on the floor).
- Several minigames.
- Share a single farm and inventory across different save files, so you can marry different villagers without replaying the whole game.
- Companion System: You can ask a villager to hang out with you, or take one of your animals for a walk. They will follow you and participate on everything you do.
- Mod System: Every single detail of the game can be modified by installing mods on them.
- Open Source: The whole game code will be available on release, so modders can change anything they want.
During the development of Orange Season, the game Stardew Valley was released, bringing a lot of new attention to this genre, here’s a small comparison between Orange Season and Stardew Valley:
- No fighting: Orange Season is a peaceful farm game like Harvest Moon.
- More dialogues: You can talk to the villagers everyday and for a very long time there will always be something new to hear from them.
- Puzzles: There are many areas that will be filled with puzzles that you can solve for a nice reward.
- Longer plot: If you like following a story, you’ll have a good time here.
Is there anything else you would like to know about this game? Leave a comment 🙂